I’m flabbergasted yawl. I’m an Ohioan from birth and from time to time you will hear it come out. My mind has been spinning lately from the actions of people I have found myself engaged with now and in the past.
And they are all teaching me a lesson in one way or another. It has become a bit overwhelming so I need to vent, release, and move on because the stress is building and I can’t let it take anymore power.
Who was that who said people may not remember what you said, but they will remember how you make them feel?
Let me first start by saying that my memory is horrible. I have to write everything down. If I see you after meeting you previously and forget your name, please don’t take it personal. I am bad with names but usually not with faces. I meet a lot of people in various settings and find it hard to recall at times.
One reason I don’t gossip is because I can never remember the story to retell it. I messed something up one time as a kid, it got back to her, and I lost a friend. I learned my lesson and I didn’t feel good about what I did. So I stopped a long time ago. #LessonLearned
But this post isn’t about gossip. It’s partly about how some people have made me feel lately. I have some very lovely friends in my circles who have been in my life for sometime. They love me for who I am and not what we can do for each other. They are genuine friends and when you’re in the world I am in, you need genuine friends.
For those of you that have decided you just don’t have time for people anymore, well it’s your loss. Regardless of your personal and professional growth in life, the same folks you toss to the side on your climb up will in fact remember how you made them feel. Forever.
Any of these folks in your life?
1. People who have reached a level of celebrity in their industry and forget how you were there in the beginning. #WeArentGoodEnoughHuh
2. People who immediately judge you based on a single conversation and don’t feel you are on their level professionally. #YouAintAllThatEither
3. People who you’ve worked with in the past keep information from you because they simply don’t want to help you with necessary resources or information. #NotSharingYourHairStylist
4. People who pass judgement based on what they read on Facebook without calling you to ask, “What did you mean by that?” #SplainThatPlease
5. People who simply say, “I don’t like you” without giving the reason why leaving you wondering what YOU did to them…especially when you rarely speak. #Really?
I have to remind myself that not all relationships are meant to last. It takes work on both ends and if you’re not maintaining it, it’s going to fade. One of my bridesmaids was happy enough to share her engagement with me but never invited me to her wedding. #What’sThatAbout
I am realizing that people will be people. It’s a part of life and there’s nothing you can do about it. I’m going to have to learn to appreciate people who show me who they are. It will keep the guesswork and hurt feelings down.
I will simply remain who I am, remain cordial, and continue to keep my mind focused on what’s really important in my life. #GodFamilyRealFriends